Subotica – Nowadays:
The city of Subotica is located at the northern part of the Republic of Serbia, along the border to Hungary at 46 05’ 55’’ North Latitude and 19 39’ 47’’East Longitude. Its average altitude is 114m - 40m above the level of river Tisza, near Kanjiža; at 32m above the level of Danube, near Baja. The international freeway E 75 passes alongside Subotica. Kelebija border crossing is 10km away, while Horgoš border crossing is 30km away from the city. The land north from the city is a fertile sandy terrain with vineyards and orchards, while on the south there is arable land.
At present, the city and its surrounding municipalities have about 150.000 inhabitants: Hungarians, Croats, Bunjevac, Serbs and other nationalities. There are 18 major settlements around the city: Bajmok, Bački Vinogradi, Bačko Dušanovo, Bikovo, Višnjevac, Gornji Tavankut, Donji Tavankut, Đurđin, Kelebija, Ljutovo, Mala Bosna, Mišićevo, Novi Žednik, Palić, Stari Žednik, Hajdukovo, Čantavir and Šupljak. The city is linked to Palić, the old summer resort and lake.
The City Hall – A Masterpiece of Art Nouveau
The City Hall of Subotica is its largest and, according to many, its most beautiful building. It was built within two years, from 1908 till 1910. However, it took two more years to decorate its interiors. The building was designed by Marcell Komor (1868-1944) and Dezső Jakab (1864-1932), two architects from Budapest in the fashionable and modern style of the times: Hungarian art nouveau. Most of the decorations are dominated by stylized flower patterns. The City Hall is a harmonious blend of arts and crafts. With an overall height of 76m and the observation deck terrace at 45,5m with 105,08m in length and 55,56m of width, it covers a surface of 5838m².
The Churches of Subotica
Churches represent the architectural ornament of Subotica, as well. The results of the city residents’ diverse national and confessional background are the churches to foster and respect of their religion, customs, saints and holidays, which, at the same time, decorate the city with their emblematic buildings. Around the city, in the outskirts, there are about ten old church buildings as well, and the firs major churches were built in the 18th century: Franciscan Church, Serbian Orthodox Church and the St Therese Cathedral. Churches also deserved special attention in the last decades of the 19th century and first decades of the 20th century, during the peak of constructions. At that time, the following churches were built: the St. Rokus Church, 1896.); the St George Church, 1897); the Synagogue (1902), the Franciscan Church was reconstructed and the second tower was added to it (1908); the Serbian Orthodox Church was thoroughly reconstructed in 1910; and round ten more churches were built in the city and its residential areas.
The original Serbian texts are fragments from Subotica, a monograph by Boško Krstić; 1996, scond edition, p. 13-14, p. 29, p. 47.